The Annual PBS Kids GO! Writers Contest
“CPTV is committed to providing fun opportunities for
How the Contest Works
The local winning entries entered into the national contest will be evaluated by a panel of esteemed judges, who will rank the top 12 entries. National winners will be announced during the summer of 2013 and the winning stories will be featured on pbskids.org/writerscontest.
The national winners will receive prizes, including tablets, e-readers and MP3 players. Additionally, Highlights for Children has joined the contest as a new promotional partner and all participants will have the option to receive a print or digital version of Highlights magazine.
PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest Honorary Judges
A panel of
· Lisa Henson: As chief executive officer of The Jim Henson Company, Henson serves as an executive producer of and , both currently airing daily on PBS KIDS, and , a musical puppet series airing daily on Sprout.
· Jeff Kinney: As a New York Times bestselling author, online game developer and designer, Kinney has been named one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World. His seventh book, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel, is the biggest print book of 2012. His book series has over 83 million in print worldwide, translated into more than 40 languages. He spent his childhood in the
· Kate Klimo: As vice president and publisher of the Random House/Golden Books Group, she has been responsible for extending the Seuss brand into new formats, including board and novelty books, and publishing non-fiction celebrations of Dr. Seuss's life and works. Klimo has nearly 30 years of experience at Random House; more than 15 of them spent working on All Things Seuss. She is also the production executive of Kate is the author of many books for young readers, including 12 titles in the Cat in the Hat's Learning Library series. She has also written for young adults (The Centauriad Series) and has a new series for children, Dog Diaries, launching in January 2013.
· Jarrett Krosoczka: As a two-time winner of the Third to Fourth Grade Book of the Year in the Children’s Choice Book Awards, Krosoczka is the author and illustrator of sixteen published books — ten picture books and six graphic novels. He has seen his work recommended by national publications like , and . His Punk Farm and Lunch Lady series are also in development to be feature films.
· Susan Meddaugh: As the author and illustrator of
· R.L. Stine: As one of the best-selling children's authors in history, Stine has sold over 350 million books that have been read all over the world including Goosebumps — one of the best-selling children’s series of all-time. Stine lives in
Creative Writing Resources
The contest is supported by a robust set of resources for children, parents and teachers. Story ideas, activity sheets, along with the previous winning entries are available on the contest website to inspire children during the brainstorming process. PBS LearningMedia is also offering a collection of online teacher resources for use in classrooms nationwide.
To enter the contest and for more information on entry rules and contest resources visit http://www.cpbn.org/pbs-go-writers-contest.
CPTV is a media service of the Connecticut Public Broadcasting Network (CPBN). It is a locally and nationally recognized producer and presenter of quality public television programming, including original documentaries, public affairs shows and educational programming. CPTV has built a reputation as a leader in children’s programming, including playing an historic role in bringing Barney & Friends™, Bob the Builder™ and Thomas & Friends™ to public television. The station offers 11.5 hours of positive, nurturing children’s programs each weekday, reaching 50,000 to 70,000 households daily. The Connecticut Public Broadcasting Network also includes WNPR, an affiliate of National Public Radio, Public Radio International and American Public Media. WNPR serves 260,000 listeners weekly in
About PBS KIDS GO!
PBS KIDS GO! offers early elementary children the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television, online and community-based programs. For more information on specific PBS KIDS GO! content supporting literacy, science, math and more, visit PBS.org/pressroom, join our community online on Twitter and Facebook, or visit PBSKIDSGO.org.
About Easy Student Publishing
Meet writing standards and motivate students using book-making tools and resources from Easy Student Publishing. With Classbook and Storybook options, free programs, online or mail-in production and expert resources, we have publishing solutions designed for educators. Enhance curriculum, support literacy and promote creativity. Every student can be a published author!
About Highlights for Children, Inc. (www.Highlights.com)
Devoted to "Fun with a Purpose," family media brand Highlights for Children, Inc. has helped children become their best selves for generations. Its flagship publication, Highlights magazine, the most recognizable and widely read children's magazine in the nation, has printed more than a billion copies. Other Highlights offerings include a version for younger children, High Five magazine; a new magazine for babies and their caregivers, Highlights Hello magazine; Highlights for Children book clubs; and mobile applications like My First Hidden Pictures. Highlights can be found on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and at its blog for thoughtful parents, Highlights Aha. Corporate offices are in