Our History

Thanks to the generous support of the communities we serve, Connecticut Public Broadcasting, Inc., has evolved from a single television station broadcasting in black and white in 1962 to a statewide broadcasting network with four television stations, four radio stations and one cable network.

In 1962, the Connecticut Educational Television Station began broadcasting in black and white from the basement of the Trinity College Library in Hartford, Connecticut. In 1978, Connecticut Public Radio joined the network, forming what is today known as Connecticut Public Broadcasting, Inc., parent organization of CPTV (Connecticut Public Television) and WNPR-Connecticut Public Radio.

1049 Asylum Ave Building1049 Asylum Ave BuildingIn the beginning, motivated and eager individuals had a vision: to enrich people's lives through high-quality, non-commercial, educational programming. Institutions like Trinity College and the State of Connecticut supported this goal of reaching out to the community through public broadcasting.

Over the years, the organization has grown, thanks to the continued support of the communities we serve. In 2004, CPBI made the move to a new broadcast home in Hartford's historic Asylum Hill neighborhood, a facility with contemporary technology that has enabled CPTV and WNPR to provide programming through a variety of multi-media platforms, in addition to traditional television and radio broadcasting.