The show this morning may have left you feeling a little icky, toxic, in need of a good cleansing. Apparently, almost every human on the planet carries traces of metals, pesticides, solvents, and fire-retardants in their bodies. (Youngsters carry especially concentrated amounts of these compounds in their tissues.)
Some of the results include: cancer, neurological problems, endocrine system disruption, reproductive troubles, and respiratory disease.
Our guest John Wargo called his book “an indictment of modern environmental law,” but it’s also a call to action with some proposed solutions. We thought it would be nice to share some of Wargo’s ideas for how you can take personal control over your exposure to harmful chemical compounds.
From his book, Green Intelligence, here are ten easy ways for you (and your children) to be healthier:
1. Breastfeed your babies.
2. Avoid animal fats.
3. Filter your drinking water.
4. Use natural cleansers.
5. Try limiting your food purchased to items with fewer than five ingredients.
6. Drink eight glasses of water a day.
7. Avoid using hot water from the tap for drinking or cooking.
8. Limit the amount of carpet used in the home.
9. Ventilate while cooking.
10. Minimize the use of air fresheners, fragrances, and deodorizers.
*Wargo has dozens more suggestions. These are just some of the biggies. Have a safe weekend!