Featured Article

Manhunt Over: Suspect in Wesleyan Murder Arrested
Article Audio

1:15 minutes (0.6 MB)
Download this Article
Share this Content

UPDATE: 5-8-09
Wesleyan University in Connecticut is praising law enforcement now that the suspect in the shooting death of a student has been arrested.
29 year old Stephen Morgan was just 10 miles away in Meriden when police caught up with him. Middletown Police Chief Lynn Baldoni spoke briefly to the press after his arrest last night.

 “At 9:14, Stephen Morgan was taken into custody without incident after turning himself over to the Meridan Police Department. Mr Morgan was turned over to Middletown Police Department and transported back to our headquarters where he’s being held on a $10 million dollar bond.”

Wesleyan University immediately sent out a statement saying the staff and students were grateful for the news and are breathing a little easier. The school plans to resume normal activities after spending the last two days, warning students to stay inside while the police searched for Morgan.

Authorities believe he shot 22-year old Johanna Justin Jinich multiple times inside Broad Street bookstore on Wednesday.  Police say Morgan knew the victim.  She had filed a harassment complaint against him in 2007 while both atteneded New York University for a summer course.

Morgan will be arraigned this morning at Middletown Superior Court.  Later today, Wesleyan will hold a private vigil in memory of Justin-Jinich.



Students and staff at Wesleyan University are staying indoors while police continue to search for the alleged gunman that killed a student Wednesday.  Investigators believe 29-year old Stephen Morgan disguised himself and shot 22-year old Johanna Justin-Jinich while she worked inside a university bookstore.

And according to Wesleyan officials, police say Morgan may be targeting Jewish students from information found in his personal journals.


Congregation Adath Israel is right down the street from Broad Street Bookstore where Justin-Jinich was killed Wednesday afternoon. 

Eliot Meadow, President of Adath Israel says the synagogue decided to close today after hearing from police last night.

"I got a call from Middletown Police about 7 o'clock sharing with me that they had found some information to indicate that suspect had been targeting the Jewish community or had intended to target the Jewish community. They weren't exactly clear of what that meant but wanted to make sure we were taking whatever precautions necessary."


Meadow describes the congregation as a close community that includes many Wesleyan staff and students.  He says the victim was not a member of the synagogue.

A nationwide manhunt is underway for Morgan.  A New York City police report shows that Morgan had threatened Justin-Jinich in 2007 when they both attended New York University for a summer course. He had left the city at the time the complaint was filed and was not arrested.

Wesleyan officials are urging all students to remain vigilant and to stay indoors. Additional security has also been deployed around campus. 

Meanwhile, Meadow says the synagogue hasn't decided whether to reopen on Friday but the members will be in touch with the Middletown Police about safety measures for weekend services.